Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Newaza champ in the making


I've said before that I have high hopes for my little girl, Lena, getting involved in judo. I hope she'll get involved in judo class someday and love it as much as I have. I think by starting her early and guiding her along the way from home, she'll go far. Yesterday gave me a little glimpse of what she may be capable of.

Lena recently turned 3 years old, and after all the birthday celebrations died down, it was time for her three year doctor visit. I was at work, so my wife took Lena to her appointment. We didn't expect Lena would be getting any shots, so we kept talking up how easy and "fun" this appointment would be. Unfortunately, my wife found out that Lena needed a TB test (which involves a dreaded needle) minutes before the test was actually given. Lena was not happy. It took three nurses (one laying across her legs, one to pin her shoulders, and one to pin her arm and administer the test) plus my wife singing "Twinkle, Twinkle, Little Star" in her ear to get the test done. I can just see the image in my head of four grown women hunched over a little, screaming, kicking 3-year-old girl. Apparently I have a fighter on my hands who is hard to pin, and that's a good thing to a judo dad! Not so good for the medical personnel, though.